Dima Hasao District

Welcome to the official Website of Dima Hasao District, Assam, India......Come & Visit Dima Hasao District , discover this wonderland......Each place of the district has something celestial &  amazing to offer......Journey through this land to stir up your mind & kindle your imagination

History of Dima Hasao District

Dima Hasao District  district  was  a  part  of  Kachari  Kingdom before 1832. The kingdom  was  extended from  Jamuna  in  the  North to the foot-hills of Lushai Hills in the south & from the   Kopili  in  the  west to the Angami & Katcha  Naga  hills  beyond   the  Dhansiri   in  the  east. The  Dimasa Kachari   kings  had   their  Capitals  successively  at  Dimapur,  Maibang,  Kashpur &  lastly  at  Horitikor    ( Karimganj district  near  Badarpur ).  In  1830,  the Dimasa  king   Gobinda  Chandra  was  assasinated  by  his  own  general Gambhir  Singh,  after that the  British  annexed the southern part of the kingdom on 14th August 1832 under the doctrine of Lapsi. The rest was ruled by  last  Dimasa  General   Tularam.  In  1837  a portion of  Tularam’s kingdom was  further  annexed to  the British Empire &  constituted  into  a sub-division  of  Nagaon  district  in 1837 with Head quarter        at Asalu.  In  1854,  on  the  death  of  Tularam,  the  remaining  portion  of  his kingdom was finally annexed to the British Empire & added to the Asalu sub-division.  

In 1867 this sub-division was abolished & apportioned into three parts  among  the  districts  Cachar, Khasi  &  Jaintia  Hills & Nagaon.

  

The  present  North  Cachar  Hills   district was included in the old Cachar  district   with Asalu  being   only  police  outpost.  In  1880,  this portion was constituted into a sub-division with Head quarters at Gunjung under Cachar district.  

 

This  head  quarter  was  shifted  to  Haflong  in 1895.  Since  then Haflong continues to be the Head quarter. In 1951, after  commencement of  the    constitution  of  India,  North  Cachar  Hills  as  specified  under paragraph  20  of  the  sixth  schedule  to the constitution, ceased to be a part of Cachar district. This part along with Mikir Hills constituted a new civil  district  namely  “ United district of North Cachar &  Mikir  Hills” with  effect from  17th  November,  1951.  According to the provision of sixth  schedule,  two  different  councils  were  constituted  later on, viz., North  Cachar  Hills  District  Council  &  Mikir  Hills  District Council within  the  geographical  boundary  of  that  district.  Dima Hasao District  District Council was inaugurated on 19th April, 1952.

In  2nd  February,  1970,  Government  declared  an  independent administrative  district,  viz.,  North  Cachar  Hills  District  with   the  geographical   boundary  of  autonomous  North  Cachar  Hills  district council.  It  may   be   mentioned   here   that   at  present  this  autonomous council possesses administrative control over almost all departments of the district  except Law & order, Administration & Treasury Deptt. 

 

THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN DESIGNED & DEVELOPED BY NIC., Dima Hasao District DISTRICT UNIT ON BEHALF OF DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION, Dima Hasao District, ASSAM

   nchill@nic.in